Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Itchy scalp?

Hu Man by Greentea Peng

Yeah, this post ain't sexy but, I think it's necessary. Itchy scalps, dandruff, tender spots, and oozing sores are not favourite discussion topics in haircare. Yet, these problems do exist and can persist if they're not attended to. I'm no doctor so, if you are suffering from any of the aforementioned ailments - I suggest you consult one. 

I'm just going to be sharing some products that helped me when I had scalp issues and hopefully if you're experiencing issues - know that you are not alone and that the products mentioned here just might help. Warning I am going to be discussing a not nice topic so if you're squeamish you may want to skip this because my issue wasn't pretty and I don't know how to make dandruff and fungus sound ... umm pleasant because it ain't.  

*
A while back, I had a really painful itchy scalp. It was unbearable to touch, and I was breaking out in cold sweats over the thought of having something serious. Just like anyone who thinks they've been struck with illness, I did the not sensible thing to do and consulted the internets to self-diagnose my "condition". Of course, this decision brought me out into even more cold sweats, thinking that the sky was falling from my head. Ultimately I went to the doctor and nothing was that untoward. I just had a dandruff/fungal infection. Not the nicest thing to deal with (or admit to) but it happens, and I found that following conditioner-only methods aggravated my scalp, along with avoiding traditional shampoos. In fact, switching to an all-natural soap bar actually started, or should I say "flared up" my issues. 

This is not to say that I'm against more natural methods of haircare but from my experience, I have sensitive/reactive skin/scalp and whenever I drench my hair in "natural" conditioners and (some) homemade DIYs - my hair/skin starts to revolt. Thus, if you're wondering why your hair is not cascading down after saturating it in a conditioner but,  instead your scalp feels aggravated and your hair is looking forlorn - it's okay - you can put down the Avocado and do yourself and your hair a favour by just using what works. It's okay, the hair police won't catch you if you make a break for it ... now - run! 

Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo £9.30 for 100ml
Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo - This shampoo can be prescribed by your doctor but, you can also buy a 60ml (£6.30) bottle yourself at many pharmacies (Boots & Superdrugs included) -  but 100mls needs to be verified by a pharmacist online/instore. Immediately after I used it, I noticed a difference. My scalp no longer felt incredibly itchy, with needle-like sharp pain from each follicle, and the sebum weeping/oozing from my scalp ceased. Even though I don't have any current problems with my scalp now, I've made sure to buy this just in case, and it will be a staple hair product in my collection forevermore. Yeah, it doesn't have the most pleasant fragrance but who cares it works! You can even use Nizoral for fungal acne but, again I wouldn't recommend using this: without getting a professional opinion, reading all the instructions prior to using it, and doing a patch test. You'd be surprised some of the side effects that this product can have if you react badly to it - not nice. Personally, I love this shampoo because it didn't take long to clear up my painful problem. Remember this is medication so, temper yourself when using it and follow the instructions. 
Ingredients: Active ingredient in 1 g of Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo: ketoconazole 20 mg. Other Ingredients: Sodium lauryl ether sulphate, disodium monolauryl ether sulphosuccinate, coconut fatty acid diethanolamide, laurdimonium hydrolysed animal collagen, macrogol 120 methyl glucose dioleate, sodium chloride, concentrated hydrochloric acid, imidurea, sodium hydroxide, erythrosine sodium (E127), purified water.
Expiration: Batch no. and expiration are on top of the box ( around 3-4 years)

Phillip Kingsley Flaky Itsy Scalp Toner 75m/2.53 fl. oz
Phillip Kingsley Flaky Itchy Scalp Tone - This relieved some of the itchiness but, it didn't automatically stop it (takes some time). If you're suffering from an itchy scalp this product definitely will ease your desire to scratch your scalp. Despite its small size, I found this product lasts a good time, and when it's finished the bottle will be nice to re-use and travel with. 
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat, Benzalkonium Chloride, Camphor, Piroctone Olamine, Alcohol. 
Expiration: 12 months. 

Superdrug Trichology Re-Balancing Scalp Tonic £3.99 for 150mls
Superdrug Trichology Re-Balancing Scalp Tonic - A Phillip Kingsley (PK) dupe but, bigger and with a better fragrance than Camphor. Just like PK Itchy Flake Scalp Tonic, this works at decreasing itchiness. I don't use these types of products every day but, if I do find my scalp a little itchy I apply a little bit on and allow it to soak in - instead of scratching my scalp, I gently rub it, and then after some time the itchiness decreases.
Ingredients: Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Panthenol, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Parfum, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Climbazole, Salicylic Acid, Aminomethyl Propanol, Caffeine, Menthyl Lactate, Niacinamide, Menthol, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Coumarin, Citrus Aurantifolia Fruit Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Potassium Sorbate.
Expiration: 12 months.
*
So, there you have my top 2-3 products to help itchiness and scalp discomfort. It's essential to look after your scalp, for not only your hair growth but most importantly health. Yeah, nowadays some of my products contain SLS and even Alcohol but you know what? They work for me and through my hair journey, I've really learned that it's best to focus on what works for you and forget everything else. 

End Thoughts: Currently, my hair and my scalp have made no complaints.


What do you use to soothe an Itchy Scalp?
Are there any natural products or natural hair methods that don't work for you?
What products and hair methods have worked for you?

Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar